Mike Matheson, who worked part time for Madison/Janesville booking agent Ken Adamany, revealed some surprises concerning individuals in a couple of groups who performed at the Pop House. Here’s one revelation.
Sometime around 1959-1960 it appears that a band from New York named Ronnie Dio and The Prophets played the Pop House. Ronnie disbanded The Prophets in 1967 and formed The Electric Elves (later known as The Elves and then, simply, Elf). In 1975, he formed Rainbow (song: “Run With the Wolf”) with Deep Purple’s guitarist Richie Blackmore. After leaving Rainbow in 1978, Ronnie was invited to replace Ozzy Osbourne in Black Sabbath. He left with Sabbath’s drummer to form his own band, Dio, in 1982. Ronnie re-joined Black Sabbath for an album and world tour in 1991, before re-forming Dio in 1992. Whew! Ronnie Dio (vocals, bass) and the Prophets (Nick Pantas, guitar; Dick Bottoff, guitar; Tom Rogers, drums) were the backing band for Johnny Tillotson at the Pop House in 1964.